Thursday, September 4, 2014

Hollywood's summer slate elicits a collective yawn from filmgoers

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-fi-summer-box-office-20140902-story.html

This summer's box office sales have dropped 15% compared to last summer's. None of the summer films crossed the usual 300 million mark, not even the much-hyped movies such as "Transformers:Age of Extinction." Many questions arise as to why. Films with strong female leads seemed to be the ones who drew most attention. But the film who grossed the highest was "Guardians of Galaxy." Still, the sales dropped 15%, why? Some highly anticipated films didn't get to screen this summer and also there were less animated films. Others say that moviegoers decided to rather wait to stream films on Netflix or order them on cable. But the audience's opinion on the films in the first place is a big factor to that. As a consumer, if I wasn't unsure about going to watch a film, I would want to get other people's opinion who have watched it. If they tell me it's not as good as they thought it would be then I would rather wait. Why waste my money on a film that's not worth it? I would want to see a film that delivers. Bruce Nash also comments that there wasn't a big name film, like a "Harry Potter" type, that came out to draw a wide amount of attention. But there were a few independent films that did such as "Chef", which I do wanna see myself. As a filmmaker, I would want to analyze the decay in sales and why. I would want to understand which type of films the audience wants to see and which have bored them. This is all important because this industry is a "momentum-driven business." It caught my eye to see how the sales dropped over one summer due to the change in films. I enjoyed many of the summer films myself and believed that the sales had actually done great due to the widely anticipated waiting of movies like "The Fault in Our Stars" and "If I Stay." But they did worse than I thought. A few questions that I have are which film was the least grossing and why? Will filmmakers put out a whole different range of films next summer to raise the sales or will it just get worse?

No comments:

Post a Comment