Tuesday, September 16, 2014

'No Good Deed': Five reasons for its surprising box-office success

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-no-good-deed-five-reasons-surprising-box-office-success-20140915-story.html

The film "No Good Deed" directed by Sam Miller was released on September 12 and was surprisingly high in box office sales. It wasn't expected but Oliver Gettel explains a few reasons why. He says the date it was released was just the right timing due to it being right after the end of summer blockbusters and right before the beginning of new fall hits. Another reason said is that it was promoted greatly using twitter and instagram to enlarge the hype. He also explained that they targeted the right audience, being women which was 66% of the summer's viewers, and African Americans. The last two reasons were the starring of British actor, Idris Elba, who has recently had some big screen roles and the stiff competition this past weekend. The only other film released this weekend was "Dolphin Tale 2" which targets a whole other audience.  This caught my eye because I was just as surprised to see this film do very well in box office sales. It never really caught my attention and I didn't think it was going to catch the attention of many others as well. I was clearly wrong. The impact of this to me as filmmaker makes me realize such small details can make a large change in releasing a film. If the date would have been different or the actors changed, I don't believe the film would have been as successful. As a consumer, it opens my eyes to different films I wouldn't have thought of watching in the first place. Hearing of this success, makes me read reviews about the film to see if it's actually worth watching. As a student, it helps me learn more about films and this aspect of it. Box office sales are a large part and I should learn about the way different films are successful due to different factors. A question I do have is,  could anything have been done to make sales even more successful? What factors could have been changed or added to aide in this?

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this film, I'm actually surprised that it did good

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if this film will turn things around after the summer madness in the film industry, it would be nice to see a film turn things around for the better.

    ReplyDelete