http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-fifty-shades-sex-20150213-story.html#page=1
There has been much controversy surrounding the film, "Fifty Shades of Grey" lately. Some women believe it portrays an abusive relationship while others are angry about the explicit sexuality. Still, the film is seen to make about $60 million it's opening weekend, especially due to very high advance ticket sales. This caught my eye because this has been a widely expected film from fans and people alike but the controversy surrounding it is just as interesting. The directer explains how she still wanted the protagonist, Anastasia, to still be a strong female lead. Even though the relationship is a lot about power and submission what comes into question is who truly holds it in the end? The film was directed, written, and based on a book by women."Even thought this relationship is about dominance and submission, I wanted ti have it be an equal journey," commented the director, Sam Taylor-Johnson. "Sp it was a fragile balance. I think that was because my perspective of keeping an eye on the politics of it. It's difficult because you're dealing with power, submission, empowerment and the journey of sexual discovery." As a filmmaker, I learn about the types of films that can cause controversy and the backlash you may get when you make something a lot of people agree on. A question I have is, will they continue to make the following books in the series into films as well and how will that create even bigger arguments?
The film is a sexual film you can't get angry about the "explicit sexuality".
ReplyDelete